453025 CO2 Capture in Uio-66-Type Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs)
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering,
National University of Singapore, 117585 Singapore
The large-scale anthropogenic carbon dioxide (CO2) emission has aroused world-wild concerns. One of the key steps in carbon mitigation is CO2 capture from stationary CO2 emission resources. Metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) are coordination polymers consisting of metal ions or clusters as nodes and organic ligands as spacers. The study of CO2 capture using MOFs as adsorbents is booming because of their ultra-high surface area, uniform yet tunable pore size, and versatile chemical compositions. However, several issues still exist preventing their large scale applications, such as selectivity, stability, and material cost. In our research, we aim at circumventing the above problems through rational ligand design and crystal engineering based on UiO-66-type MOFs, with the emphases on a) mitigating moisture interference, b) increasing CO2 selectivity, c) strengthening materials stability, and d) reducing material cost. The synthesized MOF candidates have underwent various tests for their eligibility in CO2 capture, such as stability, gas sorption, and breakthrough tests. We have identified several promising MOF candidates with the CO2 capture performance equivalent or even better than the industrial benchmark material zeolite 13X. These materials will be integrated into the next-level process and system research.
- Hu, Z. G.; Castano, I.; Wang, S. N.; Wang, Y. X.; Peng, Y. W.; Qian, Y. H.; Chi, C. L.; Wang, X. R.; Zhao, D.* Modulator effects on the water-based synthesis of Zr/Hf MOFs: quantitative relationship studies between modulator, synthetic condition, and performance. Cryst. Growth Des. 2016, DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.6b00076.
- Hu, Z. G.; Nalaparaju, A.; Peng, Y. W.; Jiang, J. W.; Zhao, D.* Modulated hydrothermal synthesis of UiO-66(Hf)-type metal-organic frameworks for optimal carbon dioxide separation. Inorg. Chem. 2016, 55, 1134-1141.
- Hu, Z. G.; Faucher, S.; Zhuo, Y. Y.; Sun, Y.; Wang, S. N.; Zhao, D.* Combination of optimization and metalated-ligand exchange: an effective approach to functionalize UiO-66(Zr) MOFs for CO2 separation. Chem.-Eur. J. 2015, 21, 17246-17255.
- Hu, Z. G.; Peng, Y. W.; Kang, Z. X.; Qian, Y. H.; Zhao, D.* A modulated hydrothermal (MHT) approach for the facile synthesis of UiO-66-type MOFs. Inorg. Chem. 2015, 54, 4862-4868.
- Hu, Z. G.; Khurana, M.; Seah, Y. H.; Zhang, M.; Guo, Z. G.; Zhao, D.* Ionized Zr-MOFs for highly efficient post-combustion CO2 capture. Chem. Eng. Sci. 2015, 124, 61-69.
- Hu, Z. G.; Zhang, K.; Zhang, M.; Guo, Z. G.; Jiang, J. W.; Zhao, D.* A combinatorial approach towards water-stable metal-organic frameworks for highly efficient carbon dioxide separation. ChemSusChem 2014, 7, 2791-2795.
See more of this Group/Topical: Topical Conference: Innovations of Green Process Engineering for Sustainable Energy and Environment