A highly permeable and selective aminofunctionalized
MOF CAU-1 membrane for separation of molecular mixture
Jianhua Yang*a,b, huimin Yin a, Jinqu Wang a, Jinming Lu a, Yan Zhang a, Jerry Y. S. Lin c and Michael Tsapatsis*b
a:State Key Laboratory of Fine Chemicals, School of Chemical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, Liaoning, 116024, China. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; b: Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science,College of Science and Technology, University of Minnesota, MN55455; c: School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy, Arizona State University,
Tempe, AZ 85287, USA.
*corresponding authors:Jianhua Yang, E-mail add.: email@example.com; Michael Tsapatsis, Tsapa001@umn.edu
Metal-organic frameworks are appealing candidates for molecular separation particularly for CO2 and other molecular mixture separation because of the high porosity, structural flexibility, pore size and chemical tailorability as highlighted in several reviews.1-5 In the form of powders, MOFs have exhibited an unprecedented CO2 adsorption capacity/selectivity and high CO2 adsorptive separation efficiency from N2 and CH4. The excellent preferential CO2 adsorption ability are expected to lead to high CO2 perm-selectivity over other gases for MOFs membranes. However, so far only the MOF-5 membrane reported by Zhao et al. showed efficient separation for CO2/N2 mixtures under high pressure and CO2 content conditions.6-7 Instead, other reported MOFs membranes including small and large pore size MOFs membranes have so far shown a poor CO2/N2 separation selectivity around 1 for either single gas or mixture system despite of their high adsorption selectivity.8-11There is a long way to explore MOF membranes with high performance for CO2 capture.
In the present work, a continuous and thin amine-decorated microporous metal-organic framework CAU-1 membrane on asymmetric a-Al2O3 support was synthesized and explored for CO2 separation. The obtained CAU-1 membrane was of 2每3µm thin and exhibited a high CO2 permeance of up to 1.34 偭 10-6 mol m-2 s-1 Pa-1 and a CO2-N2 selectivity of 17.4-22.8 for CO2-N2 mixtures, demonstrating for the first time that amino-functionalized MOF membranes can provide high CO2每N2 selectivity and possess the potential for CO2 capture from flue gas12. Separation of other molecular mixture will be studied as well.
Fig.1 SEM image of the surface and cross-section of the CAU-1 membrane (a, b) and EDS mapping of the CAU-1 membrane: green C; red Al (c, d).
1. J.R.Li,R.J Kuppler,H.C. Zhou,Chem. Soc. Rev. 2009; 38: 1477-1504.
2. D.Zacher,O.Shekhah,C.Wöll,R.A.Fischer,Chem.Soc.Rev. 2009; 38: 1418-1429.
3. M.Shah, M.C.McCarthy, S. Sachdeva, A.K.Lee, Hae-K.Jeong, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2012; 51:2179每2199.
4. A.B谷tard and R.A.Fische, Chem.Soc.Rev. 2012; 112: 1055每1083.
5. K. Sumida, D.L.Rogow, J. A. Mason, T. M. McDonald, E.D.Bloch, Z.R.Herm,Tae-H.Bae and J. R. Long, Chem.Soc.Rev. 2012; 112:724每781.
6. Z.X.Zhao, X.L.Ma,A.Kasik,Z.Li,and Y. S. Lin, Ind. Eng. Chem.Res. 2013; 52: 1102每1108.
7. Y. Y. Liu, G. F. Zeng, Y. C. Pan and Z. P. Lai, J. Membr. Sci. 2011;379:46.
8. F.Zhang,X.Q. Zou,X.Gao,S.J. Fan,F.X. Sun,H. Ren,and G.S. Zhu, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012; 22:3583-3590.
9. A.S.Huang,Y.F.Chen,N.Y.Wang,Z.Q.Hu,J.W.Jiang and J.Caro, Chem. Commun. 2012;48:10981每10983.
11. X.L.Dong,K.Huang,S.N.Liu,R.F.Ren,W.Q.Jin and Y.S.Lin, J.Mater. Chem. 2012;22:19222-19227
12. Huimin Yin,a Jinqu Wang,a Zhong Xie,a Jianhua Yang,*a Ju Bai,a Jinming Lu,a Yan Zhang,a Dehong Yina and Jerry Y. S. Lin, ChemCommu. 2014; 50: 3699--3701